Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On 29-Aug-01, 19:51 (CDT), Joey Hess <joeyh@debian.org> wrote:
> Steve Greenland wrote:
> > A standalone .deb w/o a Package file doesn't integrate into apt or
> > dselect, so there's no where to show the descriptions. The only reason
> > one would have an interest in such a .deb is that one already has a
> > pretty good idea of what it is, presumably from an accompaning README,
> > or the webpage with a link, or somesuch. I doubt very many people go
> > around browsing random .debs with 'dpkg-deb -I'.
>
> Speak for yourself. I do it all the time. I also regularly mail people
> .deb's, or put them up breifly for ftp without a Packages file, or
> distribute and receive them in a myriad of other ways that don't involve
> apt.

But you don't send out random packages to people who don't already
have some idea of what the package does, do you?

> So you don't feel yourself competant to maintain any packages that have
> gettextized messages translated to other languages either?
>
> Or if you do, how is that any different than maintaining translated
> descriptions?

The gettextized messages are maintained upstream -- presumably they been
vetted. I'm not directly responsible for that. I *am* responsible for
the Debian specific stuff.

Steve