Re: RFD: translated description with dpkg

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 04:02:13PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> This, then, is not a problem of package translations being ignored, but
> of some maintainers being MIA and/or not doing their jobs. And I don't
> think it's a new problem, or a suprise to anyone.

But then nobody made such an effort to squash all typos, let alone all
bugs in Debian. Those are rather encountered by accident. However, there
is a real aim with those translations, anybody motivated enough can
participate. And motivation will quickly fade as soon as everybody
realizes that new translations normally won't be added before the next
pending upload.

I just can't believe that we will have a decent amount of translation
anytime soon just by relying on maintainers merging wishlist-bugreports.
Most people translating stuff will probably soon turn to something else.

I don't care much about translation as I prefer my Linux Box speaking
english, but I see that many people want this and the really fast rates
of translation grisu reported indicates that this is accomplishable.

regards,

Michael

--
* patch #015, #020, #025, #030: removed; applied upstream
* Moral of the story? If you want your patch to XFree86 applied upstream,