Re: dpkg segfaults
- To: Wichert Akkerman <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: dpkg segfaults
- From: Richard Kettlewell <email@example.com>
- Date: Sat, 5 May 2001 12:57:38 +0100 (BST)
- Message-id: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- In-reply-to: <email@example.com>
- References: <20010305175928.Q352@cistron.nl> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <20010305223212.B17202@cistron.nl> <email@example.com> <20010306003853.A29749@cistron.nl> <firstname.lastname@example.org> <email@example.com>
Richard Kettlewell writes:
> On 10 Mar 2001, Richard Kettlewell wrote:
>> I still can't reproduce it. Perhaps there is some other
>> difference. I'll give up trying to reproduce it for now.
>> Do you have any other information about how you've tracked down the
>> problem to that particular revision? I've just re-read the diff
>> and still can't spot any possible problems.
> Any chance of an answer to this?
Some time ago you asked if I could help on this. But it's not
possible for me to do anything if you won't answer my requests for
| From: Wichert Akkerman <firstname.lastname@example.org>
| Subject: dpkg segfaults
| Newsgroups: chiark.mail.debian.dpkg
| To: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
| Cc: email@example.com
| Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2001 18:32:01 GMT
| Resent-From: firstname.lastname@example.org
| Resent-Message-ID: <qTmK7.A.phC.CY8o6@murphy>
| Message-ID: <20010305175928.Q352@cistron.nl>
| Dan managed to come up with a way to reproduce a dpkg segfault. After
| some poking around with dpkg the problem turned out to be that the
| filelist was being written over the package information. Oops!
| The problem seems to be a patch applied to main/filesdb.c on Dec 5 1999
| which was included in dpkg 1.6.1 or 1.6.2. The patch came from Richard
| Kettlewell and reduces the dpkg memory uses.
| I'm going to sit down tonight and carefully go over that patch to
| see if I can figure out what it does wrong. If I can't figure it
| out I'll guess I'll undo it (and reintroduce --smallmem as well I guess).
| Richard, this was your patch, I expect some feedback from you as well :)