Re: Installing from scratch with debs

On Sun, Mar 11, 2001 at 11:14:51AM -0800, Zack Weinberg wrote:
> I ran this script for all the Essential packages and the transitive
> closure of their dependencies.  In case you're curious, these are all
> the packages which are not Essential but included in the transitive
> closure:
>  libc6
>  libcap1
>  libdb2
>  libncurses5
>  libpam-modules
>  libpam-runtime
>  libpam0g
>  libreadline4
>  libstdc++2.10-glibc2.2
>  mawk

lib* packages aren't allowed to be essential (see policy) since that
would make it impossible for us to move to new versions (libc5 -> libc6).

mawk isn't essential since it uses alternatives and gawk works just as
well if you want to swap them.

More interesting is the set of packages in required that aren't in the
transitive closure of essential. Probably they shouldn't be there...

> Packages providing daemons tend to start them in their postinst.
> That's fine in most cases, but not when you're installing into a
> chroot tree and the same daemon is already running outside.  They try
> to bind their TCP socket(s), fail, and die.  Fortunately most
> postinsts don't consider this a fatal error.

boot-floppies and debootstrap link start-stop-daemon to /bin/true to
stop this from happening.

Cheers,
aj