dpkg segfaults

Dan managed to come up with a way to reproduce a dpkg segfault. After
some poking around with dpkg the problem turned out to be that the
filelist was being written over the package information. Oops!

The problem seems to be a patch applied to main/filesdb.c on Dec 5 1999
(http://cvs.debian.org/dpkg/main/filesdb.c.diff?r1=1.10&r2=1.11&cvsroot=dpkg)
which was included in dpkg 1.6.1 or 1.6.2. The patch came from Richard
Kettlewell and reduces the dpkg memory uses.

I'm going to sit down tonight and carefully go over that patch to
see if I can figure out what it does wrong. If I can't figure it
out I'll guess I'll undo it (and reintroduce --smallmem as well I guess).
Richard, this was your patch, I expect some feedback from you as well :)

Wichert.

 / Generally uninteresting signature - ignore at your convenience  \
| wichert@cistron.nl                  http://www.liacs.nl/~wichert/ |