Re: need HELP

Wichert Akkerman <wichert@cistron.nl> writes:

> Previously Eythan Weg wrote:
> > What can be done to make dpkg working again?  Or
> > at least usable to some degree.
>
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/status
> touch /var/lib/dpkg/available
> mkdir /var/lib/dpkg/info
> dpkg --force-depends -i dpkg_1.6.15.deb
>
> and reinstall everything using --force-depends. It might be easier
> to reinstall the machine from scratch..

The first method was my natural preference mainly
because I did not want to loose my ftp connection
to Debian's archive in case something goes wrong.

I addressed this group in the hope that there
might be some tricky method to recreate the
database, which is more likely to be known here.
Alas, there is not...

Thank you.

eythan