Re: Dynamic registration of files to packages

On Mon, Nov 20, 2000 at 01:36:38PM +0000, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> * Anthony Towns <aj@azure.humbug.org.au> [20001120 15:12]:
> > Another thing to consider is whether its desirable for this to be
> > dynamic, or whether it would be better to just mirror the
> > debian/conffiles in some way.
> This wouldn't work because e.g. /etc/passwd is no conffile.
> Furthermore, it wouldn't work for files using update-alternatives.

Mirror as in duplicate, separately. Something like:

/var/lib/dpkg/info/
	base-passwd.extrafiles:
		/etc/passwd
	dpkg.extrafiles:
		/etc/alternatives/*
	nvi.extrafiles:
		/usr/bin/vi
	vim.extrafiles:
		/usr/bin/vi

for example.

I didn't mean to imply there was any stronger analogy between conffiles
and other things to be registered than that they could be recorded in
similar files.

Cheers,
aj

                                      -- Dave Clark