Re: Can I use dpkg -i to install in /usr/local or /opt?

Hi,

On Wed, Sep 27, 2000 at 08:45:42AM +0200, Ulf Jaenicke-Roessler wrote:
> > dpkg --prefix=/usr/local (or /home/somebody or /opt) and the
> > scripts inherit the environment variable DPKG_PREFIX from
> > dpkg.  In the actual prerm script one has to write, e.g.
> >
> >   install-info --quiet --remove $DPKG_PREFIX/info/foobar.info.gz
>
> I doubt that this will ever happen. You might want to look at
> http://kt.linuxcare.com/debian/dd20000907_1.epl
> for some thoughts about a very similar issue.

Thanks, I read it but I still don't understand it.  It is clear
for me that Debian does not place any files under /usr/local/.
My proposal was not to change this!  If we say, only the sysadmin
is allowed to put files under /usr/local/, do we also say she
isn't allowed to use advanced tools to place files there?  But
if we allow the sysadmin to put files under /usr/local/ using
advanced tools, why shouldn't it be dpkg.  Note: As I wrote in
my other mail, I think the /var/lib/dpkg database should not be
involved, if files under non-standard directories are placed!

> BTW, installing with --prefix like you suggest cannot work for all
> packages, because building should use (if there is autoconf support,
> that is) ./configure --prefix=/usr, so there could be wrong paths
> all over.

Of course, not all packages can be placed under non-standard
directories, but most packages wouldn't raise this problem.
In fact, most programs I know, use the ./configure --prefix
option only for the install target in the Makefile, in most
cases nothing is hard-coded into the binary!

W. Borgert <debacle@debian.org>