Re: deb==ar compatability

> Im wondering if your aware of this, and if it is formally specified
> anywhere what the correct behaviour is.

Debian packages follow the BSD ar man page (not sure if it was used as a
reference, but it follows it from my reading).

> Are .debs and .ar files supposed to be functionally equivalent?

GNU ar can unpack .debs (you can test that easily), and dpkg can handle
.debs created with ar. You can also test this yourself by doing:

	# ar xv foo.deb
	# ar rc foo-new.deb debian-binary control.tar.gz data.tar.gz
	# dpkg -i foo-new.deb

Remember order is important (i.e. "debian-binary" first ...)

Ben