Re: [ANNOUNCE] experiemental dpkg available

On Fri, Oct 29, 1999 at 04:55:35PM +0200, Tomasz Wegrzanowski wrote:

> > > Only if you are connecting through a straw or are not using a CD. Around
> > > here the time to download is <<< time to install even with gzip!
> >
> > The `10x longer to download' is certainly true for a 56k modem,
> > so I suspect quite a few (perhaps a majority) of the people that are
> > downloading are doing so `through straws'...
>
> And what about people using 33.6k (me) or even slower modems or
> people with 56k on very overcrowded part of net.

I think what Jason meant to say is that bz2 is more for the benefit of the
archive rather than befefiting the user's who download it. That is our
driving force for its implementation (over all size of the archive).
Making it quicker to download is just a side affect :)

Ben