New User having Problems with dselect

Hello,

Let me start off my saying that I am new to Debian.  Previously I've
been using RH since v 5.1.  I swithched over to debian because I was led
to believe the packaging was more stable and robust.  I've done a basic
install of slink of a CD with no problems.  I installed the basic
system, and after rebooting, tried to install updated binaries using
dselect,apt from the unstable-main archive.  after downloading the new
binares I get the following error:

dpkg (subprocess): unable to execute post-installation script: No such
file or d
irectory
dpkg: error processing libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 (--configure):
 subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 2
Setting up libc6-dev (2.1.2-0pre7) ...
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt:
 apt depends on libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1; however:
  Package libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1 is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apt (--configure):
 libstdc++2.9-glibc2.1
 apt

I've also been having problems with bash from unstable/main,  each time
I download it dpkg says it was unable to unpack it.  it returns an error
then the whole thing dies...

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Thanks.

n2o@kuentos.guam.net