[Date Prev][Date Next] [Thread Prev][Thread Next] [Date Index] [Thread Index]

Re: [IMPORTANT BUG] dpkg does not compile because of makeinfo call (Was: sgml-tools: creates invalid texinfo files


I've looked into this problem last night and with the current setup of
things it's not solvable.  The problem is that i.s.o. (as an example)

@chapter Foo

we should have

@node Foo
@chapter Foo

We would have to change sgmlsasp to get this and that isn't an option.
Using `makeinfo --force` is acceptable for the short term I guess, but
definitely not a final solution.

My proposal for a final solution is to convert internals.sgml to
debiandoc-sgml.  I did this as a trial last night and it's now for
95% ok (I changed all <code>s and <samp>s to respectively <package>s
and <tt>s which need to be refined).  This also needs some changes
in the doc/Makefile, but that shouldn't be a problem.


PS I'm not subscribed to debian-dpkg so please CC me.

Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> [Please go on on debian-dpkg, since I believe the problem is there. For
> newcomers, I included a summary at the end of the message.]
> On Wednesday 4 August 1999, at 20 h 34, the keyboard of "J.H.M. Dassen
> \(Ray\)" <jdassen@wi.LeidenUniv.nl> wrote:
> > On Wed, Aug 04, 1999 at 17:33:44 +0200, Stephane Bortzmeyer wrote:
> > > If someone knows a good documentation about texinfo format...
> >
> > "info texinfo".
> OK, it's too complicated for me. I plan to reassign the bug to dpkg since it
> is not sgml-tools' fault (I'm not - yet - the official maintainer of
> sgml-tools, BTW, but I made the last NMU.)
> Summary:
> dpkg fails to build with the last makeinfo (which is stricter than the former,
> hence the reference to texinfo documentation). Output is:
> Transcript written on cmr9.log.
> /usr/share/texmf/web2c/mktexupd: /var/spool/texmf/ls-R unwritable.
> mktexpk: /var/spool/texmf/pk/ljfour/public/cm/cmr9.600pk: successfully
> generated.
> <texc.pro>. [1] [1] [2] [3] [4] [5] [6] [7] [8] [-1] [9]
> makeinfo internals.texi
> internals.texi:452: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:366: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:379: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:348: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:436: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:424: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:446: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:389: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> internals.texi:409: Entry for index `fn' outside of any node.
> makeinfo: Removing output file `/local/home/bortz/tmp/dpkg-
> s.info' due to errors; use --force to preserve.
> make[2]: *** [internals.info] Error 2
> make[2]: Leaving directory `/local/home/bortz/tmp/dpkg-'
> As suggested, running makeinfo with --force works. (Possible workaround.)
> sgmlsasp (called in dpkg/doc/Makefile) works by replacing SGML tags with elements (here Texinfo elements) which are found in a mapping file, distributed with dpkg (doc/texinfo.texi_mapping). Apparently, sgmlsasp did what it was told to do in this file. So, I believe the bug is in dpkg itself. The dpkg maintainer should fix this file.

Reply to: