Re: Who's working on centralized management?

Javier Fdz-Sanguino Pen~a <jfs@ieeesb.etsit.upm.es> writes:

> 	Yes, this was one of the ideas in my own lab. However, since the
> clients have 6Gb+ of disk I thought it was quite a waste of space to let
> them install there only NT and reserver a "small" partition to Linux.
> 	When the clients might run Netscape/Gimp/Gnome/Wmaker, I think it's
> necessary to have all binaries local (however a server's /usr is mounted
> /usr/local). Also, I did not want to break Debian by not letting it touch
> /usr.
> 	I think, however, that such a modified boot-floppy as well as more
> documentation on how this is down could make a useful debian package :)
>
> 	Regards
>
> 	Javi

Have a look at coda. Its a network filesystem like nfs or afs, but its
far better than nfs and more free than afs.

The main advantage is that it caches data it got from the server. You
can tell coda what to cache and how long. When you have /usr mounted
via coda, it will be in cache after a very short time and thus the
bandwith isn`t wasted.

Another benefit is that you can have several servers working as backup
and that you don`t need any server as long as you only use cached
data.

May the Source be with you.
			Goswin

PS: Coda is in experimental, but needs recompilation (libc6 / libc6.1
incompatibilities)