won't replace directories with symlinks?

Hi,

I'm sorry, but I can't go now and search the database of
dpkg bugs for this, so I'll ask here:

Is it just me, or does (slink's) dpkg not replace directories
with symlinks?
Example: old dotfile-bash package created /usr/doc/dotfile-bash
directory, and put files in it. Now I've changed it to create
/usr/doc/dotfile directory and put files in it, and to create
a symlink in /usr/doc, dotfile-bash -> dotfile.

Now, when I tried upgrading the package, it didn't work out
as I had expected, instead, the /usr/doc/dotfile-bash was an
empty directory. Dpkg didn't report the usual 'warning: directory
/usr/doc/dotfile-bash not empty so not removing'.

I managed the problem easily in the new package preinst with this:

if [ -d /usr/doc/dotfile-bash ]; then
   rm -r /usr/doc/dotfile-bash && ln -sf dotfile /usr/doc/dotfile-bash
fi

But I don't like it.

BTW please CC: me on replies, I'm not subscribe to this list.