Re: how rpm does it (Re: Dpkg Update Proposal)

Hi!

 JH> What happens if you try to install version bar of a package while
 JH> version foo of that same package, which contains files of the
 JH> same name, is installed? Rpm will happily overwrite version foo's
 JH> files.

Yes.

 JH> What happens if you then remove version foo? I'm not sure, it's
 JH> been a while ;-).

It deletes all the files that belong to version foo.  If they overlap
with the contents of another package (or a newer package), then rpm
will happily delete the overlapping files, too.

Yes, this causes people grief.  Yes, dpkg is better in this regard.

--
 Gordon Matzigkeit <gord@fig.org> //\ I'm a FIG (http://www.fig.org/)
    Lovers of freedom, unite!     \// I use GNU (http://www.gnu.org/)