Re: how rpm does it (Re: Dpkg Update Proposal)

Anthony Wong wrote:
> |Oh and by the way, this user interface tends to confuse new users (at least
> |it did me) who accidentially install many versions of the same package
> |because they arn't aware they should be upgrading it instead.
>
> Because you already have the Debian way in your mind when you were using
> rpm. I remembered that I looked very hard to find out how to upgrade a
> .deb in Debian by dpkg when I first switched from Redhat to Debian, but
> of course I found nothing because 'dpkg -i' handles both :)

No. I had never used debian when I used rpm. This was um... 4 years ago? 3?
something like that. I used redhat first for a year before going to debian
and it took about 3 months before I cleared up this confusing point.

> |I forget how rpm allows removing of one version of a package while leaving
> |another version of it installed.
>
> IIRC you need to specify the version number as well.

Ah, that makes sense.

> |What happens if you then remove version foo? I'm not sure, it's been a while
> |;-). I can say that rpm doesn't deal with this very well. It either has to
> |leave version bar's files around, or delete them, either action leaves the
> |installed version foo in an inconsitent state.
>
> Does rpm really do this? That's very silly...

I think so. It has to do one or the other. As I said, it's been years since
I had to deal with this..

> BTW, anyone has the feeling that the Debian package management system is
> slower than RPM?  Is it because the part in manipulating the package
> information databsse is not doing as good as RPM does?

Debian uses a database consiting of text files, which is slower than rpm's
binary database. I think it also uses significantly more memory.

--
see shy jo