Re: PROPOSAL: dpkg-logger and related

On Thu, Jan 07, 1999 at 03:06:44PM -0800, Joey Hess wrote:
> One fix would be to make dpkg-logger pause after outputting any messages to
> stdout.
There is no fix needed. replace echo with dpkg-logger and pause for return
key as usual.

> > Syslog is already a proven and stable package
>
> Syslog can be configured to send messages via UDP to a central server, in
> such a setup, it is not guarenteed that the messages will ever be tranmitted
> if there is a network problem or server outage. This is generally acceptable
> for normal types of log output, but not for the new purpose you are using
> syslog for, not for the sending of vital information the admin must see.
I fail to see how package info is more important that security logging. If
it's good enough to rely on syslog for security related info, the package
info should also be safe with it.

> Also, during a normal upgrade that includes sysklogd, syslog may not be
> running while several other package's postint's are run. In such a case, any
> messages would be lost.
The only package this affects is sysklogd. The maintainer would have to
refrain from using output messages between the 'sysklogd stop' and
'sysklogd start' phases.

> Also, what about people starting up a system in single user mode, when
> syslogd is not running, and installing a package. Again, messages would be
> lost.
This is a valid point, I will try to address it.

UnixGroup Admin - Jordan Systems Inc.                 bcollins@debian.org