Re: Possibility of a command list

On Mon, Mar 02, 1998 at 05:59:18PM -0700, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> Hi,
>
> For some time we have been discussing the possibility of patching dpkg to
> support a list of commands for use with Deity. The idea would be that
> Deity could invoke dpkg as,
>    dpkg unpack 1.deb upack 2.deb configure 1 configure 2 remove 3 {.. etc}

What comes to my mind is that dpkg could read a set of commands from
a file.  I'd prefer stdin but that's already needed by pre/post inst/rm
scripts.  I believe it would be easier to read sucsessiv commandlines from
a file than parsing a huge command line.  And at least for me it looks
"cleaner".

> This would eliminate the very high startup time that dpkg has (reading
> files database).

Oh yes.

Regards,

	Joey

--
  / Martin Schulze  *  joey@infodrom.north.de  *  26129 Oldenburg  /
 / If you come from outside of Finland, you live in wrong country /