Re: glibc recompiling was Re: libc resolver problem solved (critical bug)

On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Jason Gunthorpe wrote:

> On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Dale Scheetz wrote:
>
> > We are currently looking at excluding libstdc++2.9 <some specific -x>
> > using conflicts, and now it seems we need a range of dpkg exclusions as
> > well. This raises two questions:
> >
> > 1. What is the maximum length of a Conflicts: field?
>
> Older apt's were limited to about 200 chars, newer are about 1k chars and
> the next version will be something like 32k give or take a bit. I don't
> know what sort of limits dpkg has.
>
> > 2. Can a range of version numbers be specified, and how?
>
> Not that I can think of. The | construct is not valid in a conflicts
> line.
>
> > As another approach, does "==2.0.7u" cover all the -x releases, or must
> > they be stated explicitly?
>
> Must be stated explicitly.
>
> You have to be -VERY- carefull here because if you choose the wrong
> sort of relations you will create a confliction loop involving dpkg which
> is extremely bad.
>
> Consider:
>
> libc6 conflicts with dpkg

But I get a version specific conflict don't I?

libc6 would conflict with all dpkg versions less than the "fixed" one.

> dpkg pre-depends on libstdc++2.9
> libstdc++2.9 depends on a new libc6

This might require that libstdc++2.9, dpkg and libc6 be installed in the
same call to dpkg. I've never done it with three packages, but it has
worked for me before with two.

> The only way this will work is if all version of libstdc++2.9 function
> with the new dpkg

I'm not sure that this part can be satisfied.

> and all versions of libc6 function with the new dpkg.

I have verified that this is true with the XCircuit package

> Oddly you might not be able to do anything with this, if you conflict with
> all previous dpkg's then you won't be able to install dpkg or libc6 from a
> libc5 system!

I only need to conflict with a range, but actually, for the release, I may
not have to conflict with any. It is only because there are (possibly)
several versions of dpkg that were compiled with 2.0.7u-1 thru -5

This problem only arrises from the existance of packages, not expected to
reside in the actual release, that will be broken with the new libc6. If
there were no need to upgrade these packages, the conflicts would not be
necessary. As a last resort, I can consruct a set of ==<specific version>
entries to cover the "several" dpkg versions. At some point in the future
these could be condensed into a single <= entry. This is the best I can
come up with.

Luck,

Dwarf