Re: dpkg - unclear messages

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 01:55:04PM -0500, Adam Heath wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Sep 2003, Michael Piefel wrote:
>
> > Hello Adam,
> >
> > The meaning of some of dpkg's messages is unclear to me. For instance:
> >
> > "unable to create updated files nlist file for package %s"
> >
> > As I'm trying to translate that into German, I am experiencing
> > difficulties with the word "nlist". It's also not clear to me how this
> > is grouped: Is is "(updated files) (nlist file)" or rather "updated
> > (files nlist file)"? It might not matter much in English, but in German
> > I can think of a number of different translations...
>
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg.list
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/pkg.nlist
>
> nlist is the extension for a filename.  Don't translate it.

Is "unable to create updated %s.nlist files" a valid reformulation of the
string? If yes, I guess it would be easier for the translators to handle,
and not that less informative for the end-user, wouldn't it?

And what about "unable to create updated files %s.nlist containing the list
of files installed by that package in a new format" ? From what I can see in
the source code, this is very informative, but I guess it is too long and
should better be documented somewhere. Is there an existing documentation
describing the files living in /var/lib/dpkg/info somewhere, against which I
could provide a patch to add this feature present in the head cvs and not in
the 1_10 branch?

Thanks for your time, Mt.

--
Outlook is a good virus spreading tool. It was also doubtfully reported as
able to send mail.