Re: mentoring for documentation

Hi Marco,

Am 25.06.21 um 10:51 schrieb Marco Möller:
> On 24.06.21 22:58, Brian Thompson wrote:
>> On Thu, Jun 24, 2021 at 08:42:24PM +0200, Marco Möller wrote:
>>> Even as a simple user, not about contributing to the project, I never know
>>> where to best search for the really up to date information, and common
>>> search engines usually link me to obsolete pages which are not clearly
>>> marked as obsolete pages.

Yes, I feel you.
It makes me sad when I have to look up up to date infos for Debian on archwiki
or ubuntuusers etc.

> The problems is more about the documentation offered on the Debian web-site than about how to use a search engine. For instance, there is this page:
> https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals
> It links i.e. to the "APT User's Guide" and following this link we find the information marked with "Copyright © 1998 Jason Gunthorpe". The trained users are unlikely to have a need to read this document and might not be aware about the status of it. Maybe this information is still up to date. Maybe it was forgotten to be moved to the obsolete documents. How should the new user know this? The common search engines, and also the hierarchy of the Debian web-site suggest you this document and the new user landing there has maybe a difficult start into Debian.

Yes, outdated/unmaintained documentation is worse than none, imho.
I think creating and maintaining up to date and beginner-friendly documentation
has to become a central mission for the Debian project as a whole.

I'd like to join any such group, too.

Best
Michael