Re: release notes mentioning dropped support?

Hi Roger,

Thanks for the reply,

On 11-06-2021 20:01, Roger Shimizu wrote:

> for armel, the limitation is by:
> https://salsa.debian.org/kernel-team/linux/-/blob/master/debian/config/armel/defines#L35
>
> And from the list in that file, below devices are not supported now.
> # QNAP TS-119/TS-219: 2097152 - 64 = 2097088
> # D-Link DNS-323: 1572864 - 8 - 64 = 1572792 (too small, no longer supported)
> # HP Media Vault mv2120: 2097152 - 8 - 64 = 2097080
> # QNAP TS-109/TS-209 & TS-409: 2097152 - 8 - 64 = 2097080
>
> I guess support for D-Link DNS-323 was dropped since buster, or earlier.

I found this part earlier indeed. I was mostly wondering what we did in
the past (maybe nothing) and if we should mention it. Reading below, I
think we should.

Do the other architectures have similar devices where support is
dropped, or is this specific for armel?

> The upgrade of kernel may succeed if /boot still have enough space,
> but reboot will fail because of the uboot configuration hard coded in
> those hardware.
> It's possible to update the uboot configuration, but if something is
> wrong, it may brick the device, and no easy way to recover, except you
> the device support serial or JTAG, and you have serial or JTAG cable.

Ouch. This sounds bad. And nothing is protecting the user against this?
Wouldn't it be possible/wise to have a check in preinst and abort the
upgrade in such cases? To protect the user from ending in such a state?

> Of course, remove some unused built-in module and rebuild own kernel
> is always an option.

Good to know. I wasn't sure if the Debian Linux kernel was built lean
with everything available as modules.

> But it need continuous effort, for stable / security kernel updates.

Sure.

Paul