Re: there is missing info. in debian releases .

On Tue, 4 Sep 2018 at 23:56, shirish शिरीष <shirishag75@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,

I have been looking at the Debian releases wiki page over the last
several days and it seems lot of pages have the same missing content -

The canonical content on Releases is available here: https://www.debian.org/releases/

So, for stable, it is: https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/  (but you can also use the codenames: https://www.debian.org/releases/stretch/)

A summary of all the releases in Debian is also available in the Project History document: https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/project-history/ch-releases.en.html

 An example to share could be https://wiki.debian.org/DebianJessie

Just a cursory look tells me that the page can be improved in number of ways -

Maybe the best is, as you say, to have a template (

a. It doesn't tell about the release name and version before Jessie
came into being. If memory serves right, that was wheezy.

This is because this information is captured in the above web pages and, in the Wiki, in the following summary: https://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

 b. It doesn't tell the distribution version release which superseded
it . This I know is Stretch.

Again, this is in the general summary.

c. Most importantly though, it doesn't tell what the lifecycle of a
certain version is . That info. is available only in the LTS page
https://wiki.debian.org/LTS

The lifecycle is not set in stone, but, again, this is in the general summary page in the Wiki

Now while I don't know the how these wiki pages are made,  if the
release page use a certain template then we should modify that
template and also include the missing information at least till wheezy

I believe all the releases use the same Wiki template already or at least it looks that way. Granted, they could have more information, but there is so much benefit in repeating information that is also available in other (higher level) views of the Debian Release cycle.

Best regards

Javier