Re: [Debian-Reference] Updating po translations of Debian Reference - correct work flow?

Hi,

Beatrice Torracca <beatricet@libero.it> wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> I have a doubt about the proper way to update the translations of the
> Debian Reference.
>
> I followed the instructions in the README.sources and used
>
> "make wrap" and "make test" to test my translation (recently Osamu had
> to fix a syntax mistake in my translation and I would prefer to avoid
> giving work to others and check my translation myself)
>
> It looks though like the "make test" action also updates the po
> files. Every po file, but that is not a problem because I can commit
> only the Italian one.
>
> My doubt is that in this process I get lots of messages about unused
> Entities. Messages like this one:
>
> debian-reference.en.xml:17278: parser error : Entity 'freetype' not defined
>                                            ^

I don't see such messages here when testing your translation. Italian builds
fine and without errors.
Also when looking at your latest commit
https://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/ddp/debian-reference.git/commit/?id=14c4a31705c521825c1250b2d0b41b0f770db7c8
everything looks fine. There are no messages deleted from the po files or
the like.

If you still see such messages on your PC, I suspect there might be some
software missing? The toolchain to build such documents is rather ambitious
sometimes...
'apt-get build-dep debian-reference' should install everything that's needed,
or look at https://packages.debian.org/source/stretch/debian-reference

> and it looks to me like (almost) all messages related to entity
> translations in the .po file become commented and unused.
>
> I don't think this is what is supposed to happen.
>
> I see there is also a "make entity" target. I am not sure that is
> supposed to be used.
>
> But mostly I am not sure what is the right .po file for me to
> commit. The one before the make test action or the one I get
> afterwards? I think that once the generation of the translation
> documentation is carried out in the Debian server those entity
> messages will turn out to be needed.
>
> Right now I committed my last translation after the make wrap / make
> test commands, but if I don't get any comment I will revert that
> commit.

No need for such reverting.

Holger

Created with Sylpheed 3.5.1 under the   n e w
	D E B I A N   L I N U X   9   " S T R E T C H " .