'debiandoc2dbk -1' fails

I have a simple debdoc file "simple-epa-howto.sgml" that responds correctly (viz produces the desired output) to debdoc2html and debdoc2pdf.

The .sgml file also seems to produce ok output with debiandoc2dbk; at least, the appropriate .dbk files are created in the expected subdirectory. (I haven't yet taken things farther than that.)

However, here's the problem:

$ debiandoc2dbk -1 simple-epa-howto.sgml
Cannot create file ./simple-epa-howto.dbk.
 at /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Format/XML.pm line 149.

Thoughts, anyone?

Best regards,
Bob Bernstein
--
IMPORTANT: This email is intended for the use of the individual
addressee(s) named above and may contain information that is