Re: Chinese translation: zh-cn <-> zh-tw

Hi Xiao,

Please feel free to ask if you encountered any problem
on manipulating .po files.

On 5 July 2016 at 14:05, Osamu Aoki <osamuaoki@e01.itscom.net> wrote:
Hi,

So Xiao, you are interested about translating debian-reference.  To be
honest, many contents are getting outdated.  So focusing on "Preface",
"Chapter 1" and "Chapter 2" may be good idea.

You should also consider translating "The Debian Administrator's
Handbook" by Raphael.
  https://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/debian-handbook/
  https://debian-handbook.info/contribute/

As for zh-cn and zh-tw translation ...

Since coordinating zh-tw and zh-cn translation is good idea, I tend to
promote the mutual help.  I know there are touchy feelings about
different font usages and choice of words.

So automatic translation should be used only when there are no
translation strings available and hopefully it should be used with human
proofreaders.

There is a package called opencc for this automatic conversion:
  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/opencc

This helps convert translation strings between zh-cn and zh-tw

How do you do it?  Example?  ... Yes.  I left scrip in maint-guide
package.  It uses opencc then add word changes using sed.  (This is
old.  Most probably these word changes are already taken care by newer
opencc)

  https://tracker.debian.org/pkg/maint-guide
  http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/ddp/maint-guide.git/tree/script/cnpo2twpo.sh
  http://anonscm.debian.org/cgit/ddp/maint-guide.git/tree/script/cn2tw.sed

Please make sure to contact previous translators.  For Debian Reference
  Oops .. there is no more active translators ...  OK

It may be a good idea to ask how maint-guide translators dealt it.
Contacting the following may be good idea.
  Zhou Mo <cdluminate@gmail.com> (zh-cn)
  Aron <happyaron.xu@gmail.com>  (zh-cn)
  陳侃如 <koster@debian.org>  (Helped to proofread zh-tw)
  Debian l10n Chinese<debian-l10n-chinese@lists.debian.org>