Re: LDP still relevant?

Hi,

On Thu, May 05, 2016 at 02:05:08AM +0900, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 01:36:14PM +0200, Joost van Baal-Ilić wrote:
> > On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 11:54:58AM +0100, Tom M wrote:
> > >
> > > The Linux Documentation Project [1] is mentioned in Debian's docs, often as the
> > > only source of general GNU/Linux docs. As far as I can see, it is largely an
> > > outdated resource; floppy disks are regularly mentioned, there are links to
> > > software tarballs, etc. In fact, none of the "most popular Linux documents
> > > and manuals" [2] have seen updates in the last 13 years, some as many as 20.
> > > (And they are 2 clicks from the front page!) I don't think we are doing anyone
> > > a favour by mentioning these, and should consider other sources.
> >
> > Yup; very true.  Submitting bugreports could be a fist step in solving this
> > embarrassing problem.
>
> Yes true
>
> These are more or less historic interest document :-)
>
> Now that we have "The Debian Administrator's Handbook"
>   https://www.debian.org/doc/user-manuals#debian-handbook
> and resources such as wikipedia.org, we can skip most of these.
>
> Maybe moving these to
>  https://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other
> may be an idea.
>
> But I am a bit reluctant to make such an action since it labels LDP as
> old/outdated/... etc. which are all negative.  Does someone have any
> positive attitude change suggestions?

Fix the LDP documents, I guess.  Otoh, I don't believe e.g. the "Linux Hardware
Compatibility HOWTO" could _ever_ be up to date; wiki's are more easy to
update.  I agree it's a pity; I don't have a very positive message indeed :(

Anyway, as said, a bug to the www.debian.org pseudo package suggesting a change
to https://www.debian.org/doc/ would be the way forward, imho.  The change you
suggested (moving references to LDP documents from https://www.debian.org/doc/
over to https://www.debian.org/doc/ddp#other) indeed is a good idea.

Bye,

Joost

--
"This particular group of cats is mostly self-herding." -- Bdale Garbee
http://mdcc.cx/     ★    Tilburg, Низоземска    ★    http://ad1810.com/