Re: LDP still relevant?

I agree that something needs to be done in respect to the LDP and GNU/Linux
documentation in general. BSDs have fantastic documentation and I feel
GNU/Linux as an ecosystem also deserves such. Although probably the most
demanding, working on individual manpages for/with upstream projects would
be the most profitable to everyone in the long-run. Finally, some level of technical
language is needed. The user should be allowed to understand, not merely be informed :).

Best regards,
Andy Mender

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 7:42 PM, Joost van Baal-Ilić <joostvb-debian-doc-20160501-3@mdcc.cx> wrote:
Hi,

On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 04:53:30PM +0000, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:
> On Sun, May 01, 2016 at 11:54:58AM +0100, Tom M wrote:
> >
> > The Linux Documentation Project [1] is mentioned in Debian's docs, often as the
> > only source of general GNU/Linux docs. As far as I can see, it is largely an
> > outdated resource; floppy disks are regularly mentioned, there are links to
> > software tarballs, etc. In fact, none of the "most popular Linux documents
> > and manuals" [2] have seen updates in the last 13 years, some as many as 20.
> > (And they are 2 clicks from the front page!) I don't think we are doing anyone
> > a favour by mentioning these, and should consider other sources.
> >
> > --
> > Tom M
> >
> > [1] http://www.tldp.org/
> > [2] https://www.debian.org/doc/ "Manuals for GNU/Linux in general"
>
> TLDP is _just_ in the first steps of starting activity again after some years
> of minimal axctivity.
>
> If they do seem to get anything back together, we can use it. Unfortunately,
> they are still arguing document formats as often as writing / updating
> documents or so it seems.

http://www.tldp.org/sorted_howtos_full.html shows: Since 2013 there have been
not more than 2 new releases of all TLDP howto's.  I don't think we should hold
our breath now, and imho we should remove references to obsolete
TLDP-documents.

Bye,

Joost

--
our thing was we’re gonna do exactly what’s not on the radio
 James ‟J Dilla / Jay Dee” Dewitt Yancey (★ Feb  8, 1974, Detroit