Re: question regarding release-notes:old-stuff.po

On Tue, Jan 04, 2011 at 11:25:16PM +0100, Julien Cristau wrote:
> On Tue, Jan  4, 2011 at 23:04:49 +0100, Martin Bagge / brother wrote:
>
> > I found this message when doing translation updates for Swedish and
> > need a hand in deciphering it.
> >
> > "To configure your system's locale you can run
> > <command>dpkg-reconfigure locales</command>. Ensure you select an
> > UTF-8 locale when you are presented with the question asking which
> > locale to use as a default in the system. In addition, you should
> > review your user's locale and ensure that they do not have legacy
> > locales definitions in user's configuration environment."
> >
> > The problem is the very last sentence
> >
> > "In addition, you should review your user's locale and ensure that
> > they do not have legacy locales definitions in user's configuration
> > environment."
> >
> > my user's or my users locale?
> > two places.
> >
> > I should go to _MY_ settings and make sure they are correct?
> > And when done I should do what?
> > Some kind of single user perspective I guess.
> >
> > If I read the sentence from a system administration perspective I
> > think it means that I should make sure that the users of the system
> > do not have legacy locale defintion in THEIR settings.
> >
> > I lean towards the latter of the two but need help to be able to do
> > a correct translation. I've left the string fuzzy for
> > sv/old-stuff.po for the time being =)
> >
> I think it's talking about the locales used by all your users.  We
> should fix that.  Help from a native speaker welcome ;)

I remember this being controversial somewhere else on the mailing list.

There is a general movement towards UTF-8, but users may still meed
nonUTF-8 locales to be able to access legacy software and legacy data.

I understood that while failing to use an up-to-date UTF-8 locale might
cause your messages to be somewhat incomprehensible during the upgrade,
users should still be able to use nonUTF-8 locales if they needed it
for their applications.

SO I'd read it as: make sure you use a UTF-8 locale when you're
upgrading (I believe a patch to the release notes in in the
works suggesting you upgrade locales *first*).  But your users may still
have to use what they have to.

But better see if there are better advisors than my memory.

-- hendrik