Re: Please proof-read Debian 5.0 ("lenny") release notes

On Tue, Jan 27, 2009 at 02:40:48PM +0100, Javier Fernandez-Sanguino wrote:
> 2009/1/26 W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org>:
> > We don't
> > want to make translators lives even harder, don't we?
>
> Quite sincerely, after the reports I've seen in the BTS, as well as in
> replies to this request which affect *content* and not *wording* it
> really looks like the release notes are not ready for prime time and
> that the call for translation updates should have been hold.
> Translators are going to suffer *a*lot* because of this last minute
> changes.

I have to agree with Javier.
Personally, I will hold my translation of release-notes until they are
freezed.

And focus on reviewing the english part before the translation is done.
Unfortunately, that will affect people translating (unless we tell them
to hold their translation, or at least part of the release-notes subject
to deep changes).

> I am in the process of reviewing Lenny's release notes' translations
> to Spanish and I have been quite surprised when I found that there are
> many things in them which refer to a sarge -> etch release which are
> not any more relevant in lenny.

Though it was already advertised in mails from the release team, would a
another mail to d-d-a relevant to ask for bugs+patch against
release-notes concerning etch->lenny upgrades ?

> Has anyone done test upgrades from one distribution to the other
> (using different default installs: bare installation, desktop,
> server..) to try to see which of the steps described in the release
> notes is no longer relevant? I did many of those two years ago for the
> etch release and reviewed the RN based on that experience. It looks
> like this has not been done by any of the (current) editors of the
> Release Notes.

Was more focused on translation only initially...

--
Simon Paillard