Re: Suggestion for translation improvement

On Tuesday 08 September 2009 14:49:09 Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, Sep 07, 2009 at 05:56:01PM +0200, Noel David Torres Taño wrote:
> > Hello Osamu:
> > Here:

> > #: debian-reference.en.xmlt:1022
> > #, no-wrap
> >
> > Do you think it is technically possible to include an empty paragraph
> > below, to allow translators to include the meaning of the two
> > paragraphs about free software and the warranty?
>
> There are 2 issues you raised here.
>
> 1. Paragraphs about free software and the warranty was in English.
> 2. You want to explain what it is in the following paragraph.
>
> > If it is, I would move the discussion to the doc list to ask if they
> > think it is worth.
>
> Let's do so and think about solution.
>
> To fix 1, replace the whole message with the one under you locale.
> Unfortunately, this message is not a one translated for each local.  So
> this option does not work here.
>
> To fix 2, there are 2 ways.
>
>  * One proper way is to use "addendum"
>    explained in po4a(7).  ("man 7 po4a").  (I never done this.  I am
>    thinking to do this soon to add translators in appendix.)
>
>  * Quick and easy way is to insert XML compliant text to the following
>    section.  Since I can not do this in Spanish, I use English -> English translation as example here.
>
> The first trial is:

> #: debian-reference.en.xmlt:1036
> msgstr "Here, the main part of the greeting message can be customized by editing the \"<literal>/etc/motd.tail</literal>\" file which states \"The programs included with the Debian GNU/Linux system are free software; the exact distribution terms for each program are described in the individual files in /usr/share/doc/*/copyright.  Debian GNU/Linux comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY, to the extent permitted by applicable law.\"  The first line is generated from the system information using \"<literal>uname -snrvm</literal>\"."
>
> Please note quotation marks are escaped by inverse slashes.  This is
> very important to make source buildable.  But this style ended up too
> redundant to my taste.
>
> If you wish to have line folding, you can use \n to include return.  But then
> it should become too complicated since this requires you to put in <literal>
> ... </literal>.  I strongly recommend not to use too much energy for
> formatting.  This becomes too complicated to keep maintaining and extremely
> redundant.
>
> My Japanese translation did not explain English text.  But I am now thinking to
> have short phrase such as:

> This is not too complicated and does not destruct thought of the reader.  I
> think you should do the same.  Done for Japanese.
>
> Osamu

These are great ideas, I thought about them and I'm using the second in my temptative translation. But I was asking about if it possible to have something like a new paragraph not in the original XML.

Would it be legal to do something like this?

Or maybe, to avoid the empty <screen> at end, to do it at start of the NEXT paragraph, though ideal way may be having a NEW EMPTY paragraph in original which can be filled by translators.

...just trying to provide a second cent.

Noel
er Envite