Re: Using old Finnish translations from Etch Release Notes?

On Tue, Sep 01, 2009 at 05:30:14PM +0300, Tapio Lehtonen wrote:
> I noticed the Release Notes have not changed that much, so I could use
> the old translations to Finnish from Etch. I did that translation, but
> could not translate Release Notes for Lenny, perhaps this is why the
> Finnish translation is not in SVN, but is in
> http://cvs.debian.org/debian-doc/ddp/manuals.sgml/release-notes/fi/
>
> Am I going to cause lots of trouble if I msgmerge from the old
> release-notes.fi.po to each of the new .po files? Should I use some
> options for msgmerge?

This will not cause any trouble to the infrastructure.
But I have no idea whether the new PO files have a lot of strings in
common with the old PO file.

If you want to try it, the easiest way is probably to copy the old
release-notes.fi.po onto each of the current po files, and then ask the
makefile to update the Finish PO files.

This should be run on Lenny:

mkdir fi
for p in about.po issues.po old-stuff.po upgrading.po installing.po moreinfo.po release-notes.po whats-new.po; do cp release-notes.fi.po fi/$p; done
make updatepo LINGUA=fi

If you have no Lenny available conveniently, I can populate the fi/
directory for you.

Best Regards,
--
Nekral