release notes and msgid-previous (was: Re: (forw) Release update: deep freeze, planned dates, and remaining bugs

[To: Deb18n, debian-doc]

On 03/02/2009, at 12:59 AM, Jens Seidel wrote:

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 12:39:14AM +1030, Clytie Siddall wrote:
On 02/02/2009, at 4:30 PM, Christian Perrier wrote:
Translators, please focus on and be ready for the Release Notes

Thanks for the reminder, Christian. It is exactly what I need, to know
where to focus what resources I have available.

I notice that the single Release-Notes PO file has been separated into 8 different PO files, much like the Installation Guide. Probably because I
have been away, there seems to be a lot to do: the first two files I
opened were quite empty (6 more to go after today!). However, the
Installation Guide sets a good example: I'm sure the results will be
encouraging. :)

Old Etch file: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/ddp/manuals/tags/release-notes/etch/vi/?rev=5839
New Lenny files: http://svn.debian.org/viewsvn/ddp/manuals/trunk/release-notes/vi/

As Javier already noticed it was not tried to reuse existing translations. Since the document format changed from SGML to DocBook/XML some tags (e.g. <package> ==> <systemitem role=\"package\">) changed which makes it hard to reuse old translations.

It may be possible that you can manually extract similar sentences from the old
source. Your decision ...

I updated the Vietnamese files so that the match the current English files. Please ensure that you use these updated files (if you have conflicts, just ignore my changes,
commit your stuff and ask me for an update again).

Current statistics:
vi: 18 translated messages, 16 fuzzy translations, 759 untranslated messages.

Thanks for the info, Jens. :)

What's our deadline for completing the release-notes translation?

It would really help if the release-notes (and any other document translations using PO format) used the gettext feature msgid-previous [1] (as D-I and many debconf files do). This feature makes it much easier to see what changes have occurred in strings. It's especially helpful with complex or long strings: documentation files are a classic case.

For example, my PO editor will show the previous original string above the current original string, and highlight the changed text (using wdiff). This saves me a lot of time and confusion: it's also an accessibility feature when you have difficulty reading and comparing text, as I do.

If anyone has the time, please start using msgid-previous with this and other doc translations. :)

Javier (F-S P) also said:

Clytie, the release notes content has not changed *that* much between
releases. If you want me to help you up and update the Vietnamese PO files with the original content (to speed up the translation) please let me know.

Thanks for the offer, Javier. I had decided to review the whole release-notes translation anyway, so I'll try to do these files from scratch first. If I run out of time, we might have to try and merge the remaining strings then, if possible.

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1]

#, string header
msgid-previous "This is the old string"
msgid "This is the new string"
msgstr "This is the old string translated"

http://www.gnu.org/software/gettext/manual/