Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny ...

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:18:50PM +0200, Jens Seidel wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:37:23AM +0000, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> > 1. How about changing the translation to a translation tool on
> > the way? I suggest po4a, but others could be used as well. With
> > such a tool you always know which translations are up to date
> > and translators do not have to read diffs.
>
> It's currently no problem to use such an approach for individual
> translations only. I think I did it for release-notes by just
> providing an additional Makefile.

Yes, one can do it case-by-case.

> So it's not a big task but should not be done for all languages
> without permission from the translation teams.

Of course. However, most translators welcome po enthusiastically,
as it eases their maintainance work a lot.

> > 2. How about changing from debiandoc to DocBook XML (which has
> > special "qanda" elements for FAQs, tables and other nice stuff)?
>
> This would fuzzy translations.

I would first change SGML to XML than introduce po4a.

> Also note that DocBook XML doesn't
> support all languages (at least not for all formats such as PDF).

Could you please tell me which languages are supported with
debiandoc, but not with DocBook XML? And with which toolchain?

With having at least two toolchains to create PDF from DocBook XML
(dblatex and fop/xmlroff), I thought DocBook is not too bad, but
maybe I'm undervaluing our own good old format here :~)

> If you have solutions for both go on ...

OK, we'll see.