Re: working on Debian FAQ for shipping with lenny: new package "debian-faq" (was: Re: doc-debian [...] ready for upload? [...])

On Sun, Mar 30, 2008 at 09:37:23AM +0000, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 29, 2008 at 03:40:17PM +0100, Joost van Baal wrote:
> > I believe the translations which have seen some work recently should get
> > installed by the debian-faq package; I'll fix that.  A call for
> > translation updates would be useful too, btw.
>
> I would volunteer for two things or could maybe give some hints
> if you like to do this:
>
> 1. How about changing the translation to a translation tool on
> the way? I suggest po4a, but others could be used as well. With
> such a tool you always know which translations are up to date
> and translators do not have to read diffs.

It's currently no problem to use such an approach for individual
translations only. I think I did it for release-notes by just
providing an additional Makefile.

So it's not a big task but should not be done for all languages
without permission from the translation teams.

> 2. How about changing from debiandoc to DocBook XML (which has
> special "qanda" elements for FAQs, tables and other nice stuff)?

This would fuzzy translations. Also note that DocBook XML doesn't
support all languages (at least not for all formats such as PDF).
If you have solutions for both go on ...

Jens