Re: Putting draft release notes on www.debian.(org|net)?

Simon Paillard wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 12, 2008 at 11:58:32PM +0100, W. Martin Borgert wrote:
>> On 2008-11-13 08:52, Vincent.McIntyre@csiro.au wrote:
>> > #498273 seems relevant too.
>>
>> Putting an HTML rendered version of the release notes as a draft
>> on the web is a good idea, indeed - also for the translators.
>> Anybody from the www.debian.org/net people listening?

Speaking as former coordinator for the release notes I think I can safely
say that at this point of the release cycle it should definitely be
hosted on www.debian.org in the same location as the final version will
be hosted.

In fact, getting the build infrastructure for that in place and getting
first versions available is some months overdue IMO. The fact that there
are no published release notes yet means for example that we cannot yet
include them on CD images, which means that we still have a significant
uncertainty how CD1 is going to look (as adding the release notes will
push some packages from CD1 to CD2).

Doing any of this on alioth would IMO be a grave mistake.

Note that the Installation Guide is already being built (from XML) on
www-master, with the difference that that is built from the last uploaded
version of the package and the RN have always been built from SVN (or CVS
rather).

I'd suggest trying to contact Frank Lichtenheld (djpig) directly for this.
IIRC Jens Seidel may also have done some work on the build infrastructure
for the release notes in the past.

Cheers,
FJP