Re: should we recommend apt-get or aptitude?

Giovanni Rapagnani wrote:
> Dear Daniel (sorry to bother you again),
> dear APT Development Team,
>
> what is your opinion about this question: should we recommend apt-get or
> aptitude in the release-notes ?
>
> I ask that because it seems that apt performs better than aptitude at
> the moment. Maybe, Daniel, you are aware of some issue with aptitude
> that would not make it the preferred choice for upgrading for this
> release ?
From my humble experience, dependency resolver in aptitude is now better than
apt-get one in most cases (not in all, though). Aptitude has wider choice of
command-line options than apt-get. I would recommend aptitude for Lenny, with
fallback to apt utilities.

But Michael or Daniel can judge better.

Ukrainian C++ Developer, Debian APT contributor