Re: po files (was: Re: debian-faq 4.0.1 ready for upload)

On 23/05/2008, at 12:11 AM, W. Martin Borgert wrote:

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 04:22:13PM +0930, Clytie Siddall wrote:
Great. I'll work with Martin and see how we go. I see he already has
directories for the existing languages in dbk-po4a-utf8: all I need is
the POT file, to get started.

The pot files are now under po4a.
An empty vi directory waits for you :~)

Martin, thanks for your speedy and helpful actions! :)

I've just reuploaded my innocent OSX SSH key, and I'm checking out the debian-faq now. I'll get started on the FAQ translation. I note that it's in several files, like the D-I Manual. That makes it a less intimidating task. ;)

It would be great if we could have this ready for Lenny. (Newly-added
languages, like mine, would need a tiny lead time to add the localized
reference to the D-I Manual.)

I'm not very optimistic about having the new DocBook/UTF-8/po4a
FAQ ready for lenny. The po conversion of existing translations
(diverging a lot from the English version) is a boring,
difficult and error-prone task.

That's a pity. Why is the po4a conversion so messy? Is that a po4a problem, or a problem with existing translations not following the same format?

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n