Doc translations in general

To: debian-doc
Cc: deb18n

I have a suggestion. Looking at SVN [1], we have several major docs needing translation.

But we don't coordinate that anywhere (AFAIK).

How about a wiki page summarizing doc-translation procedures, and containing, or linking to, specific instructions on how to translate each doc? We could branch it from the main i18n page [2].

The D-I manual [3] already has translation status pages and other info which might be useful to other doc owners.

I would be happy to write a wiki page with general instructions, if I knew what they were.

Do we have any coordinated approach to doc translation?

If not, we could start with this wiki page.

Then we could publicize it on debian-i18n, keep translators informed.

Docs available in PO or XLIFF format will get priority, because they're more efficient for translators. [4]

I'm coming at this from a position of confusion about doc-translation, knowing I already have three doc translations to maintain, not knowing how to keep track of that (apart from the D-I manual), and trying to work it how all the doc translations fit together.

Your experience in this area is very welcome. :)

from Clytie

Vietnamese Free Software Translation Team
http://vnoss.net/dokuwiki/doku.php?id=projects:l10n

[1] http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/ddp/manuals/trunk/

[2] http://wiki.debian.org/I18n

[3] http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/manual/