Re: problem in accessing commited page

Hi Sri,

On Tue, Apr 29, 2008 at 07:17:15PM +0530, ம. ஸ்ரீ ராமதாஸ் wrote:

please use also a latin1 based part in your name, I see only black
boxes.

> I committed the Tamil version of
> http://svn.debian.org/wsvn/ddp/manuals/trunk/apt-howto/?rev=0&sc=0 some time

This file has the executable flag set. Please remove it using
$ svn propdel svn:executable apt-howto.ta.sgml

> back and I could not access it at
>
> http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/index.ta.html as I could access
> for other Languages.
>
> Please guide.

That's simple: debiandoc-sgml used to generate HTML and PDF from SGML doesn't
know anything about Tamil, it's a bit too exotic :-)

The log file http://www-master.debian.org/build-logs/ddp/
doesn't contain an error related to Tamil. Strange ...
Uups, there is also a log file cvs.log instead of svn.log. Let's hope
the source is fetched from svn :-))

There could also be another problem: I'm not sure that apt-howto is
maintained in svn.debian.org. I think there could be a upstream site
somewhere else so please check that you did not translated an outdated
version ...

To add Tamil support for debiandoc-sgml:
 * Text and HTML output should be trivial. I assume UTF-8 is required
   for Tamil and it cannot be written with a classical encoding such as
   latin1?
 * PDF and PostScript are more difficult. Maybe it works by just
   selecting a common UTF-8 macro package if no default Tamil language
   pack is available for LaTeX (which is used to create PDF, PS).
 * Please translate the files in the attachment. Compare with other
   locales in /usr/share/perl5/DebianDoc_SGML/Locale/ if you're
   unsure about the (Perl) syntax. I will integrate it into debiandoc-sgml.
 * It would be nice if you could provide a sample working Tamil LaTeX
   file (a simple Hello World one is suficient). Please Google for it.
   It is not required but it is probably easier for you to search for
   Tamil support ...

Jens