Re: Switching from CVS to something else

Hi,

On Sun, Aug 19, 2007 at 11:43:47AM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007, Osamu Aoki wrote:
> > > Alioth also supports CVS, so if you want to keep CVS, you can do that as
> > > well. But I encourage you to switch to something else and I can help you to
> > > convert the repository if needed.
> >
> > I think since DDP uses "$Revision: $" thing quite a bit as the ways to
> > keep track version difference, I think the only practical choice is
> > keeping CVS or moving to Subversion repository. (Not git nor monotone
> > nor hg.)
>
> Honestly, I'd expect to switch to subversion since it's very easy to
> switch to for people who are used to CVS.

I agree.  I have other projects in svn and it was quite transparent
except for tagging.

> However, technically speaking I'm sure there are solutions to track
> translations automatically with other VCS. At least with git where most
> low level commands are usable from scripts. One can extract the last
> commit that modified a file with a command like this one:
> $ git-rev-list -n 1 HEAD -- thefile
> 54bb0defc14d937ed2bfd93a705cb6892d3766dd
>
> And if you have a "reference" commit you can do this command to find out
> all the commits that changed the file since that commit:
> $ git-rev-list HEAD ^c6549f3c0c63e7c2c178200b40dac167efe53d46 -- thefile
> 54bb0defc14d937ed2bfd93a705cb6892d3766dd
> e818d3b0cfc363ee7624c7a61f3e07f837312ad1
> 5371b8082c6e7ecd9a71c37f92442eaeebe33ebc
> d031120a39fbbb390363b9515152362e7951790c
> 2d0f04e918ca4fc74bd14f536acfc96efdcdc4f3

I see ... that works quite nice.  I can even count how much delay etc.
(I just started to learn git and like it since I can make fine grained
commit while I an off line.) So reference commit or SHA1 value recording
in the translation comment section does what is needed.

> If the output is non-empty, then you know the translation is outdated.
>
> > move since we save bandwidth of diff etc.  (Of course diff script needs
> > to be adjusted but that is relatively simple task, I think.)
>
> Which diff scripts are you referring to?

ddp/manuals.sgml/quick-reference/bin/doc-check
But I use this script on sf.net CVS server.  So this is non issue.

developers-reference also embed version string to track translation
delay.

But after some thinking, this may not be so important.

> > The reason it failed to move to aloth was lack of people willing (or
> > access) to set up web page building infrastructure.
>
> Can you point me (more precisely) to what needs fixing and adjustment?
>
> > I think if we set up the similar build infrastructure as d-i team, that
> > will be nice.  The biggest headick of DDP was it required to use stable
> > TeX/LaTeX infrastructure which we need to package build script for
> > unstable TeX/LaTeX infrastructure.  They are always different.  By
> > having off line machine building uploading build data, this build issue
> > will be solved.
>
> Currently the documents are built on www-master directly no?

Something like that.  If I knew exactly how to work around, we should
have moved back then when I had more time. joy knows better.

> Where would you like to build them? And would you keep a daily push if you
> switch to something else?
>
> > That all I remember....  Any volunteer?
>
> I'm not yet familiar enough with all of this but I can try to help
> if you point me to the stuff that needs fixing.

I think any VCS is fine as long as we find someone who can set up web
build infrastructure.

Osamu