Embedding TrueType fonts in manuals

On Wed, Jul 18, 2007 at 04:07:02PM +0200, Frank Küster wrote:
> [nothing in my mail is private, please follow up on any other list.  I
> suggest -project or some doc list, but then please Cc me since I'm
> currently not subscribed there]

Taking this thread to -doc (slightly editted your quote of my -private
email). People in debian-doc, the comment is related to an online publishing
system (Lulu.com)

> Javier Fernández-Sanguino Peña <jfs@computer.org> wrote:
>
> > It seems that you have to embed all fonts for the PDFs submitted to be
> > allowed in Lulu's publishing system (even if the fonts used by the
> > document are TrueType fonts...)
>
> Why are the TrueType fonts not included, anyway?  It looks like a bug in
> dvipdf to me.  AFAIK Adobe recommends to never assume the presence and
> correctness of system fonts, and always embed them.  Even for the base35
> fonts used here.

I don't know about Adobe's guidelines (were are they?), but it seems that the
"To PDF" conversion tools (LaTeX and DVI which I've tried) will never embed
TrueType fonts in the generated PDF. This seems to make sense as:

a- It is common for some TrueType fonts (Courier, Garamond) to be available in
  most installed systems.
b- Including them in the PDF increases its size.

I'v compiled the "Securing Debian Manual" in the DDP CVS embedding TrueType
fonts in it and the its size shows a 12% increase: 1118544 bytes w/o
embedding them and 1254599 if you embed them. This is a big document (over
300 pages) so I guess the size increase % would be bigger for smaller
documents.

Regards

Javier