Re: Desktop upgrade strategy (was: What should be upgraded first: kernel or userland?)

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 06:11:30PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 08:51:21PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:

> > > And that should be a no-op for users who don't have OOo installed, right, so
> > > this recommendation could be safely included in the release notes with no
> > > danger of side-effects or user confusion?
>
> > In order to avoid confusion ("Huh?  I never installed OpenOffice!"), I
> > would recommend something like this:
>
> >    If you have installed the OpenOffice.org packages at some point, then
>
> I think it's much more important to avoid unnecessary conditionals in the
> release notes if we want to avoid user confusion.

We already have a conditional (due to libfam0, xlibmesa-glu) so we have:

a) if you do not have the desktop task installed and no desktop environment
   installed by hand:
    aptitude install initrd-tools

b) if you installed the desktop task or have a desktop environment
    aptitude install initrd-tools libfam0 xlibmesa-glu
    aptitude unmarkauto openoffice.org

> Instead, including it in the instructions with a note explaining it's a
> no-op for users without OOo installed would be better.

I think we should detail two different paths to prepare for 'dist-upgrade',
based on the above. From here on the steps to take are the same except the
last step where we have:

a) if you have a 2.6 kernel
    aptitude install linux-image-2.6-*
    [ needed because of the new udev, the old kernel will not work ]

b) if you have a 2.4 kernel
    Do nothing, and consider upgrading to a newer kernel at a later point

and (not mentioned by Frans) based on the bootloader:

a) if you have lilo
    Rerun lilo regardless of the kernel you are using

b) if you have grub
    Update your kernel-img.conf (grub has a warning which might affect the
    upgrade path to lenny if users don't apply the changes here and miss it)

I don't think we can provide a single upgrade path for all users.
Regards

Javier