Re: Desktop upgrade strategy (was: What should be upgraded first: kernel or userland?)

On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 05:11:59PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 23, 2007 at 06:52:15PM +0100, Frans Pop wrote:
>
> > It can however also be worked around with:
> >    aptitude unmarkauto openoffice.org
>
> And that should be a no-op for users who don't have OOo installed, right, so
> this recommendation could be safely included in the release notes with no
> danger of side-effects or user confusion?

In order to avoid confusion ("Huh?  I never installed OpenOffice!"), I
would recommend something like this:

   If you have installed the OpenOffice.org packages at some point, then
   execute <code>aptitude unmarkauto openoffice.org</code>.  If you do
   not have the OpenOffice.org packages installed, you can safely ignore
   this.  If you are not sure, execute the command as it will be ignored
   if the packages are not installed.

I'm not sure if that's the best possible way, but it will get the
questions that people certainly will have.

Regards,

-Roberto
--
Roberto C. Sánchez