Re: Desktop upgrade strategy (was: What should be upgraded first: kernel or userland?)

On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 09:04:00PM -0400, Roberto C. Sánchez wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2007 at 04:22:31PM -0700, Steve Langasek wrote:

> > And apt-get has different bugs (#410695), doesn't honor recommends, and
> > hasn't been what we've been recommending users use for upgrade testing for
> > the past months...

> > We can't flip-flop the recommended upgrade procedure every time we find a
> > bug affecting one tool but not another.  What do you think about the fam NMU
> > we discussed?

> Perhaps my memory is faulty, but I thought that aptitude became the
> recommended (or preferred, if you will) tool over apt-get with the
> release of Sarge.

Yes.  The "flip-flop" in question is that aptitude has been the recommended
tool since the sarge release, and is the method that the release team has
encourage users to submit upgrade reports using, and it's now proposed to
change back to apt-get based on a single data point -- an important data
point, granted, but a single data point nevertheless.