Re: Number of languages available in d-i? (for the release notes)

On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 08:31:44AM +0100, Christian Perrier wrote:
> OK, here are all facts:
>
> http://d-i.alioth.debian.org/i18n-doc/languages.html should be the reference

I've add the information to the Release Notes. However, I have a few
questions.

> 58 languages, including English, are supported in D-I

This is 18 languages more than Sarge.

> New languages (compared to Sarge) are:
[ list of 19 languages added omitted ]

> 11 of these languages are supported only in the graphical installer (g)
>
> No longer supported languages (were supported in Sarge, not in Etch):
[ 2 languages ]

My math is not working fine. If you say we have 58 languages, that is 18 more
than sarge, however 19-2 (added-removed) = 17 languages. There is an off by
one difference here.

> The language choosing menu offers 60 entries. There are indeed two
> additionnal entries:

I understand that the 11 languages only supported in d-i are not available in
the language choosing menu in non-graphical installations, right? Users
native to those languages have to enable the language *after* the
installation is done (setting up their locale manually, installing fonts,
etc.). Right?

I have made some changes to the information at
http://www.debian.org/releases/etch/i386/release-notes/ch-whats-new.en.html#s-newdistro

which should show up sometime today.

Regards

Javier