Re: documentation for novice and newbies

On Wed, 07 Feb 2007 15:54:22 -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:42:47PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:58:11AM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:
>
>>  A distributed versioning system works like this.  You have your own
>> copy of the repository.  You do all your edits, check-ins, and
>> check-outs on that version.  Every now and then (in the middle of the
>> night when phone rates are cheap, for example) you sync your repository
>> with one of the others.  All the changes get sent back and forth, so
>> afterward the repositories are the same.  If there are simultaneous
>> updates, the version control system merges them, unless there are
>> serious incompatibilities, in which case, the changes have to be
>> manually merged.  But this merging can also be done anywhere by anyone,
>> and the merge gets distributed in the same way.
>>

> Thanks Hendrik,
>
> This sounds neat.
>
> I'm looking over alioth, have registered and am waiting for the confirming
> email.
>
> It looks like our project would best fit under topic "Installation/Setup".
>
> Still waiting to hear from others on this but I think that this will be
> the way to go.  We may want to put a single page on newbiedoc-wiki and
> wiki.d.o pointing to whatever we create.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Doug.

It appears that ikiwiki can use mercurial as versioning system, which I
believe is a distributed one.  There's also work been reported connecting
it to monotone, which is another.

ikiwiki operates as a translator that translates incoming wikitext to
html which is stored where your browser expects it.  I'm not sure whether
the wiki-style text or the html is the definitive version stored in
the versioning system, but I'd expect it to be the wikitext.

Should I investigate further?

-- hendrik