Re: documentation for novice and newbies

On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 03:42:47PM -0500, hendrik@topoi.pooq.com wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2007 at 11:58:11AM -0500, Douglas Allan Tutty wrote:

>  A distributed versioning system works like this.  You have your own
> copy of the repository.  You do all your edits, check-ins, and
> check-outs on that version.  Every now and then (in the middle of the
> night when phone rates are cheap, for example) you sync your repository
> with one of the others.  All the changes get sent back and forth, so
> afterward the repositories are the same.  If there are simultaneous
> updates, the version control system merges them, unless there are
> serious incompatibilities, in which case, the changes have to be
> manually merged.  But this merging can also be done anywhere by anyone,
> and the merge gets distributed in the same way.

Thanks Hendrik,

This sounds neat.

I'm looking over alioth, have registered and am waiting for the
confirming email.

It looks like our project would best fit under topic
"Installation/Setup".

Still waiting to hear from others on this but I think that this will be
the way to go.  We may want to put a single page on newbiedoc-wiki and
wiki.d.o pointing to whatever we create.

Thanks,

Doug.