Re: I need some help with my first steps using Debian Doc / SGML

On 5/7/06, Jens Seidel <jensseidel@users.sf.net> wrote:

> 2) do I need to install debiandoc-sgml-doc and if yes, what for?

That's really a funny question, since it's obvious to me that the
debiandoc-sgml-doc package contains the documentation of
debiandoc-sgml (/usr/share/doc/debiandoc-sgml-doc/) which you
requested in 1) :-))
Just install it beside debiandoc-sgml!

this is because I am confused about what debiandoc-sgml exaclty is and
whether debiandoc-sgml-doc contains the documentation for the package
or the DDP or a list of legal tags... sorry if I did not make that
clear.  this is all made worse by the fact that I am not in front of
my Debian Sarge computer so I cannot simply look up the info in
apt-cache

> 3) how can I best check my tags before submitting them?

It is really a good idea to *always* test your file(s) using the tools in
debiandoc-sgml package:
debiandoc2latexpdf -l en yourFile.sgml
This should produce a PDF output file (you need tetex-bin and
tetex-extra package for this).

Similar tools: debiandoc2text, debiandoc2html, debiandoc2latexps

See the manual page for details (man debiandoc2html).

Feel free to look into examples (all DDP documents).
You will probably need only a few tags, such as for
 * headlines
 * item lists