Re: Translating the Debian manuals to Finnish

Hi Esko,

On Sun, Dec 03, 2006 at 10:38:41PM +0200, Esko Arajärvi wrote:
> I have been thinking of helping in translating the Debian to Finnish.

there are indeed many documents which would profit from such a
translation.

> I'm sure that the Finnish DDs read English quite well and therefore I
> decided it's better to start from the user manuals. I was thinking of
> taking the Debian Reference or the Debian GNU/Linux FAQ as a starting
> point. If you think it would be better to start from some other manual,
> please tell.

Great. I would suggest to translate the Debian Reference. Someone
started it already many years ago but if I remember correctly only a few
lines where translated :-(

> I have read the Debian Documentation Policy draft and instructions of
> Debian Documentation Project CVS, but I would like to make sure I have
> understood correctly the following things.
>
> Am I correct that the process of translation consist only creating a
> directory to CVS and translating the original files?

Indeed. What else should be necessary?
It may be possible that it is required to enable the translation in a
Makefile, to adapt a few strings somewhere (e.g. on the website), but
there are many people who could help you to set up the infrastructure and
the main task is indeed translating files.

> And the package maintainers or the web admins will later take care of
> including the (once completed) translation to the Makefile etc. and
> therefore it's ok to commit unfinished work to CVS?

Correct. Maybe you need to contact these once to notify them about a new
translation.

> I don't yet have update privileges to the CVS and would also like to
> request them now.

If you want to start with the Debian Reference I could give you write
permission to the upstream CVS http://qref.sf.net. It is synchronized
from time to time with the DDP CVS.
If you want to work on other projects in the DDP please provide first a
patch before requesting write access. Otherwise we are not sure that
this is a serious request.

The first action you should take is to read http://qref.sf.net and
http://qref.sourceforge.net/doc/. After this you should synchronize
the outdated files in fi/ with en/ (probably you can just copy files
from en/ if there was not already a Finnish translation of the
corresponding file). If you further questions just ask, either in a
private mail, this mailing list or the qref specific mailing list.

Please report all errors and problems you find during your work so
that it can be fixed.

Jens